Every been in a situation like that? In an instance, you've experienced
being knocked off center.
Centering is the state of mind that allows you to feel tranquil and aware of the moods in a situation around you, while giving you the resources to choose your own reality.
It's that ability to stay within your body during a time of strong emotional states that lets you choose to response rather than react to the emotional state of others.
Because the techniques are so similar to grounding, it is often mentioned within the same breath in many magical & new age circles.
Here are some of the techniques I've used to return to center:
1. Check in. When a clock or watch chimes the hour take a moment to breathe deeply and check in with your body. Smile! Move your body by stretching, rolling your shoulders away from your ears, and taking a deep breath.
2. Writing. Even doodling can give you a momentary break from a situation and free your mind from the collective consciousness to return you to center. A daily journal practice is also fantastic.
3. Daily Affirmations & Mantras. Repeating a chosen affirmation or mantra can bring you back to your highest life purpose and disconnect you from other's agendas for you.
4. Food and drink. Eating a wholesome snack or drinking a healing glass of water allows you to take care of your own needs so you can better take care of others.
5. Countdown. Counting from ten down to one can give your mind just enough space to choose your response.
6. Change your environment. Nature is a wonderful healer so go for a walk. Even a five minute walk is enough to uplift your mood and reconnect you.
I hope you find use in these simple tools. Remember, from the center everything appears equidistant.